Hair IS Hair, Get Over It!

So you went to beauty school in the suburbs or in the inner-city? Who did you think your clients would be once you graduated?
When I was in school I heard it all the time, "I'm not doing white people hair" or "I'm not doing black people hair."
Really? Or is it that you don't think you can do either types of hair. The bottom line is that money is green no matter what hand it comes out of.
I think stylists and barbers short themselves by only catering to one type of hair.
Who said it's okay to turn away services because of the hair type? Is this what you invested time and money to do?
The good part is that you CAN get it together and learn to take on any hair type that comes into your salon or shop. Go back to the basics and practice. Attend a continuing education class. The bottom line is to step outside of the box that you have set your self into. Challenge yourself and your career to learn something new each day in your career.
I have spent COUNTLESS number of years only doing a certain hair type. It didn't pay off. I even went back to work in a factory just to make ends meet. Imagine that, a licensed stylist and I'm working on an assembly line.
I took it upon myself to blame myself and then I started to take steps on changing things. I went to classes, read books, practiced on free models. I did whatever it took to benefit from my career.
Recently I went to Sassoon Academy and it was so worth the investment. Now I teach Sassoon cuts and color. Who would've thought!

Comments

Popular Posts