Is It Worth It

That was a question a students husband asked my husband. He wanted to know if sending his wife to hair school was really worth it.
My husbands reply was "yes" . My husband is the only person other than myself who knows how much I put into my career as a stylist/educator. He looks over at me at night as sees me researching a topic for my students & staff.
But what he did not get a chance to see, due to us not knowing each other at the time is when I thought my license werent worth it and I found a job in a factory.
Yep, I felt as if I could do better just by having a regular paycheck than staying in the salon that came with the apartment I was renting. How stupid was I?
A salon attached to my apartment. No driving time, it was right there!
At the same time the job wasn't worth it either. After a few years passed I sat back and reflected upon what made me come to the decision to work in a factory and make even less than I was making in the salon.
Why was I making so less in the salon to begin with? Why did I feel that my only course of action would be to go work in a factory? How can I fix all of this? I don't cut hair, I'm not comfortable formulating color and I really don't have a lot of clients. What do I do?
I went BACK TO SCHOOL and earned my teachers license along with updating my skills and let me tell you it was the BEST thing I've done for myself.
I suggest that any stylist who has lost their passion to do the same. There is so much out there to learn, its crazy!
All the things I thought before like; the school I went to wasn't that good, they didn't teach me how to, I didn't have good teachers, I went to a small school, etc.
All of those were excuses and all the blame was due to me. I can only blame MYSELF for NOT either taking the steps to build confidence in myself and not INSISTING on being shown things I wasn't clear on while I was still a student. Now that's all behind me and I couldn't be happier with my career choice!

Comments

Popular Posts