We are here to help, but you have to help us too...

Today I encountered something totally confusing to me.
A student approached me requesting a direct answer on how to make 5 vol. developer out of 20 vol.
I answered her in a way that would make her think and come up with the equation herself. She insisted that I give her the answer.
I tried to explain to her that me giving her the answer would not benefit her in the long run but me giving her the mental roadmap would.
Not good enough. She ran to the administration office to report she is not learning anything. That threw me for a loop!
What am I teaching by just giving out answers upon request?
I can't say it enough to the students that they won't have me by their sides when they get jobs in salons, and they may want to think twice before they ask anyone repeat questions on a daily basis. They'll end up jobless!
Had she just followed my direction she would have started her client in a timely manner instead of ending up in tears when the client questioned her ability to color her hair. All this could have been avoided.
I have made the sound decision to open my own salon and do private advanced classes. I figure at that stage in someone's career, they really want the training.

Comments

Popular Posts