Extra Education A Necessity

For the life of me, I cannot understand how some stylists are okay with just the basics they learned in beauty school.
Some get so offended when you try to show them something new. Maybe they think they know it all.
I'm always enlightened to see the older or seasoned stylists at the hair shows, either dressed to the 'nines' or savvy with the latest fashions.
I once worked in a salon with a stylists who didn't do highlights, layered haircuts, waxing, manicures, roller sets, perms, updo's, or anything else outside of cutting a straight line and applying color 7N to anyone who asked for color. Needless to say, she was out of business in no time flat!
I tried to show her an easy way to fold foils, nope. I tried to work with her on coloring basics, nope. I even tried to help her learn entry level hair replacement, no way.
What she was good at was talking on her cell phone, standing outside with a cigarette, playing blackjack on the computer and sitting in holding conversation with me and my clients.
A rep from Redken came in one day to invite her to FREE color training and she took the invitation. Great right? Wrong, she gave the invitation to our licensed esthetician because she seemed interested in going back to school for hair. How upsetting.
Additional education is a necessity and should be sought after. Otherwise, as trends change you could run yourself into the ground with nothing to show for.
You don't even have to be good at everything you learned in beauty school. You could take something you're really good at and turn it into your empire. As times and trends change, so does procedures and that's the importance of seeking extra education.













Comments

Popular Posts