Leave A Deposit/Pay A Fee Policy(?)

Hey Y'all! 
Happy 2022 and let's get right into the subject of this post.
What about all these LEAVE A DEPOSIT policies a lot of pro's are using.
Oh, I get it...
The deposit for a no-show is to secure funds in place of a missing client.
The late fee 'deposit' is for detering those who show up late.
Yes, I get it but to a degree, I don't agree.
In a previous post I talked about how the early-bird-catches-the-worm. It's still true to this day. Book your well established or 'ideal' clients FIRST, and book your clients who have history of running late next, then those with history of no-shows LAST, if at all.
That way, you're already paid by your well established and you now have options for the rest of your work day.
By options I mean you can choose to service, or not service any remaining clients. The method I use for those who run late is after 15 minutes late, you MUST reschedule. For those with history of no-shows, I simply will not schedule them, BUT IF I DO I will require 50% deposit of the service UPFRONT at booking time.
In my opinion, deposit policies can become a turnoff to clients. Put yourself into a clients shoes, especially a client that has had to wait on YOU to arrive on time or be finished with the prior client on time. Do you think it's fair to throw a deposit or fee policy in their face?
What about your well established client who for the first time is running a few minutes late? Don't you think that they deserve a 'pass'?
What if a well established client is running DRAMATICALLY late or is a no-show? In my experience, when this happens there must be something serious going on. The last thing you should hit them with on their next appointment is a deposit or late fee policy. As a matter of fact, I think it's of poor taste to do so.
Another thing, the way you advise your clients of these policies and fees mean a lot. Please be courteous and pleasant because clients will read you as if they mean NOTHING but a dollar bill to them and right then, you've lost them.
I know we as professionals have to have standards in place so that clients won't run all over us, but please be as welcoming as you possibly can. Keep in mind that there are new professionals arriving on the scene everyday and a 'tired of ALL of your policies' client will try them just to get a welcomed feel from the professional.
Thanks for reading and I'll be posting Sunday and Tuesday every week... it's been a long time.   

Comments

Popular Posts